I subscribe to several groups on FetLife; easily the most prolific of these is “Submissive Women” which generates at least five (and often many more) new discussions a day about various aspects of submission. What it is, what it is not… different “takes” on what it means to be submissive given the dynamics of a relationship. All in all, usually very good food for thought as I learn and seek to define what I want.
I have struggled to put my own “take” on what submission is for me; whilst I have identified as being submissive since I started reading about it two years ago, I have definitely shied away from certain interpretations of it. For instance, I know I could never accept it as a 24/7 exchange. I feel the need to have very defined boundaries of when it is “on” and when it is “off”… and to be known as a person first, because I’m not going to ‘just bend over’ for anyone.
I have come to realise that the act of submission is as much a gift to myself as it is to my partner. Being as driven and as *cough* anal-retentive as I am, turning over the reins does not come easily to me. When I am able to do that, and feel comfortable doing it though, mmmmmmmmm…
Why am I not Dominant then, if I have such need for control? Indeed, one would think it would be a perfect fit… except that having that kind of control and responsibility terrifies me, I'm afraid of missing a really important social cue and doing real damage to someone. I’ve tried it a handful of times online; it’s a fun change-up with someone I know well but could never be a permanent dynamic for me.
Why not just simply Top and/or Bottom? It’s all well and good on occasion, yes, but it’s really too vanilla for me; the dynamic is not intense enough. In my reading of erotica over time, I’ve noticed I have a stronger positive response to the D/s dynamic. I'm also realising that I'm far kinkier than the Top/Bottom dynamic would give me credit for and don't wish to 'settle.'
Flying solo in my sessions, of course, I don't need to settle. Granted, it's also damn hard to submit to myself! so really the whole dynamic might be tabled, except that it's still the one I gravitate toward in my reading and... I'm not really in a vacuum in practice, now am I? I still talk to others about the lifestyle and have hopes that one day I may physically experience it with another.
In the meantime, I continue to learn and to further define who I am and what I want...



No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to know what you think! comments, discussion, things to help me process the journey ;)
Check back to see if I answer!
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.