Sunday, 6 February 2011

Of Dungeons and Weyrs and Kindred Spirits



It is said that if one is fortunate, s/he may come across a kindred spirit once in a lifetime, a soul with whom s/he can share a unique bond, a special language, all that can be shared that s/he might tell no other.

I ran across my kindred soul many years ago, when we were both counsellors for a special needs camp; Kev was taking care of a boy who been exposed to thalidomide in utero whilst I had charge of a little girl with cerebral palsy.  Our little campers happened to be good friends, so Kev and I spent a lot of time together and bonded quickly.  After the camp was over we continued on together; though we ended up at different colleges the next year, we travelled either one way or the other to see each other every weekend.  We had a secret language that only made sense to the two of us, full of private jokes and a very silly camp song complete with hand movements.  We shared absolutely everything with each other, including occasionally a bed, though we were never physically intimate with each other.  Both of us were afraid, I think, of risking that very special bond we had, instead choosing to regard ourselves as big brother to little sister.

Unfortunately, Kev had a congenital heart defect and was ripped from this life far too soon.  I was unable to attend his funeral, marooned as I was in the wilds of Maine… ironically as the nurse for a special needs vacation camp.  It took me a long time to find closure; I still miss him terribly.

Never in my wildest imaginings did I ever dream that I would be granted another opportunity in this lifetime to meet yet another kindred spirit, never certainly in such a way as has happened.

My Sweet Rider tells of our journey best; he has a beautiful way with words.  I love the secret language we’ve developed, laden with hidden meaning; I love the world we have woven around us.  I love that we can go from cosy chat to the heights of passion and back again with nary a shred of self-consciousness or hesitation.

This Dragon would proudly wear her Rider’s harness.  Thank you, love, for our recent lusty romp and roaring good chat.  Can’t wait to give it another go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to know what you think! comments, discussion, things to help me process the journey ;)
Check back to see if I answer!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.